Saturday, March 5, 2011

2500 point Ork thoughts

I've been working on my orks again and rather enjoying it.  I'm looking forward to getting the force prepared for some larger events.  Hopefully I'll have a 2500 point army ready in time for 'ard boyz this year.  My orks are probably a less competitive force than my guard, but they are a lot more fun to play.




The biggest problems I have fielding my Imperial Guard or my Daemons is they don't get to act during every phase of the game.  The guard are mostly a shooting phase army.  When they end up doing anything in the assault phase, it's almost always because they are losing.  The Daemons are at the opposite extreme.  All their work is done during the assault and when the shooting is going on, they're dying.  The Ork lists that I started with suffered from some of the same problems.  I was running a pseudo Kan wall style of army, and the force is weak during the movement phase.  They can assault and shoot reasonably well but had limited options during movement.  In the interest of having some direction for my modeling and painting I've put together a potential list to aim towards.

Here's the list I'm currently planning.


Ghazghkull Thraka
Big Mek with KFF and bosspole
3 squads of 5 Lootas


6 Meganobs with 3 kombi-skorchas, 1 Kombi-rocket
Battlewagon with big shoota, deffrolla, armour plates, red paint job, and boarding plank

18 'ard Boyz with a Nob with Power Klaw
Battlewagon with big shoota, deffrolla, armour plates, red paint job, and boarding plank
3 squads of 12 shoota boyz  with a rocket launcha and Nob with Power Klaw in a truck with armour plates, red paint job, rocket launcha, and boarding plank
13 grots with a runtherd
3 squads of 2 deffkopta with rockets, two of the squads have buzzsaws
2 squads of 3 Killa Kans with rockets


A few of the stranger choices should probably be explained.  First of all: Meganobs as opposed to regular nobs.  I rather like Meganobs for their points efficiency.  For 40 points you get a nob with a 2+ armour save and a power klaw.  A regular nob with a cybork body and a power klaw is 50 points.  I get to play a lot less tricks with wound allocation and the like, but I think the sheer number of attacks helps to make up for it.  The most significant thing that Meganobs lose compared to their lighter cousin is the waaagh banner.  The loss of a weapon skill is huge against most marine opponents.  In the end I went with the Meganobs based on how awesome the model is and how difficult they are to destroy.  I may end up switching back just because I don't own enough Meganobs, but I do own enough regular nobs.


The next choice that deserves some explanation is the 'ard Boyz.  I've found that a group of 20 regular boyz isn't enough.  They suffer too much from their transport blowing up, or bolter fire if they're forced out into the open even briefly.  'ard Boyz survive a lot longer in most situation and aren't as vulnerable to fearless wounds.  That combined with having converted a bunch of cybernetic orks years ago resulted in their inclusion in the list.  Oh.... and I also couldn't resist the idea of fielding 'ard Boyz in the 'ard Boyz tournament.


The grots are there to provide cover saves to any lootas that don't have convenient terrain to hide behind.  Most everything else is fairly self explanatory.


I'm reasonably pleased with the list, but I do have some concerns.  First of all I'm not sure I have enough vehicles on the board to ensure that any survive for long.  The KFF helps with that a lot, but trucks are basically tissue paper and the Kans aren't much better.  The other major concern I have is TH/SS terminators.  I really don't have any efficient ways to deal with them.  They chew through my Meganobs rather quickly, and my boyz squads simply aren't numerous enough to drown them in wounds.  One possible change I considered is replacing the two squads of Kans with another battlewagon.  Then replacing a squad of lootas with a squad of 15 burna boyz to ride around in the wagon.  That gives me an extra armour 14 vehicle and a rather absurd number of flamers/power weapons.  The issue with this is mainly a matter of cost.  I have the parts to build most of this army already, but I don't have enough to build a 3rd battlewagon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment