Thursday, August 16, 2012

Weird Pros and Cons

Ork Weirdboyz are a unit I'm taking a serious second look at with the new edition.  I think the figure above is going to be getting some friends if I can manage enough variety in the models.  On to the advantages and disadvantages.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Lots of Tanks

I've been working on a huge force of IG tanks for a friend of mine.  Progress has been pretty slow with me squeezing in what time I can between classes.  Start to finish, the total time ended up being about 10 months, but thankfully my friend was not in a rush.  Total number of hours spent was probably around 50.  I really didn't keep careful track though, so that could be pretty far off.  Anyway, here's the complete set of 16 tanks.

I was told to create a desert themed set of tanks that looked like they'd been in the field a while.  They came primed the lovely tan color that is the base on all the vehicles.

After a bit of research it occurred to me that my typical rust approach wouldn't really fit in with a desert theme.

So, rather than rust I decided to try to make them look like they'd been sand blasted.

Step one was to sponge some scorched brown over all the the edges.  Any corner got tagged with a scattering of brown paint.

The next step, which was probably the most time consuming, was to carefully paint a coat of silver inside the brown from the previous step.

I then picked out all of the rivets to add a bit more interest.

After that it was just a matter of finishing up the details and sealing everything.

I'm rather pleased with the final look.  There's a few things I think I probably could have done better though.

Some level of shading/highlighting to the base color I think would have made the final product a little more interesting.

The tan surfaces are still just a little too flat, but once the weathering went on there was really no way to go back and change it.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ork Big Mek: Phase 1

Threw together a Big Mek with a kustom force field recently.  He's pretty much just made with random stuff I had lying around.  I'm rather pleased with the overall effect.  He's a lot more interesting looking than my last one.  A painted version should be coming along shortly.

This particular model is for a story campaign a friend and I are planning.  Should be a lot of fun.  I'm really looking forward to playing some stranger games.  Things I don't get to do in my usual run of only attending tourneys.  Uneven point values, weird force org charts, lopsided deployments and bizarre objectives.  I'm excited.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

2500 point Ork List mark 2

After a bit of thought I've gone ahead and made some changes to my initial Ork list.  The original list can be found here.  The original list didn't really have any good ways to deal with storm shield armed terminators, and since those are a staple of tourney lists, at least in my area, I decided I needed to address the issue.

First the list:

Monday, April 11, 2011

Dark Eldar WIP

Here's some work-in-progress shots of my friend's Dark Eldar that we've been grinding away on over the last couple months.  Just about everything still needs some basic work before it can be called finished, but the whole army is coming along quite nicely and at a rather fast pace.  We've been getting together most Sundays and spending the day painting away.  Some basic techniques for the colors are included after each picture.  Once they're finished I'll get some less washed out photos posted.  The black background makes for a cool look, but all the light colors and metallics end up getting washed out.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Ghazghkull Conversion

A friend of mine gave me a Ghazghkull model for Christmas that I finally got around to assembling.  I've never been a big fan of the pose of the model or the details coming off the top, so I made some adjustments along the way.

The head was replaced with the one from the Assault on Black Reach warboss.  Reposing the power klaw arm was a little difficult since the sockets for everything are done as squares so things only fit together one way.  I cut away the cable that connects to the main body and filed everything smooth., cut off the peg, and pinned it in place in a different position.  The bosspole is from the plastic nob box and the flames are from a couple of spare Sister of Battle Cannoness backpacks I had lying around.  The flames and the bosspole can be removed so they can be used as wound counters.

I'm hoping to get him painted before classes start again on Monday.

Friday, March 18, 2011

Ork Lootas

Finished the first of my lootas finally.  They're taking quite a bit longer than most of the rest of the force due to the sheer number of details.  Once I finished with the base colors I painted them one at a time to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Here's the first three just before I flocked them.  They're a bit shiny at the moment, but the matte sealant should tone the metals down just a little.