Wednesday, September 22, 2010

And the Warhound is Finished

The Warhound Titan is now officially complete.  I'm quite happy with the end result, especially considering when it was handed to me it had a rather crummy paint job and had just been knocked off a shelf by the owner's cat.  It's impact with the ground had left it in rather poor condition.  In addition to the expected chipping and general damage from have never been sealed or primed, several parts were broken.  The spot where one of the weapons connects to the arm had been broken out and lost.  I rebuilt that using epoxy putty over an armature of heavy gauge wire to give it strength.  This required a fair bit of care to ensure that the arm would still be movable.  The Vulcan Mega-bolter arm had been snapped in two, so I put a pair of two inch brass rods in it for support and glued it back together.  Two of the spines on top of the main body were broken off completely.  I'm not sure if they were lost or not, but I didn't have them when I put the beasty back together so they were left off.  I also built a circular base for it out of 3/16" tempered hardboard, and pinned it's feet to the base in the interest of it not taking another tumble in the future.


And on to the pictures:
The Titan's owner will be adding some snow to the base sometime in the near future to finish off the model.  I'm very happy with what I managed to accomplish with such an outdated model.  I kept expecting someone in the background to shout "Thundercats, ho" while I was painting it.  As for the colors used:

Grey Primer
Trim: Painted Fortress Grey, washed with Badab Black, and sponge-painted with fortress grey again over the top to give it some texture

Main body: painted Regal blue, stippled with a light coat of enchanted blue, and washed with asurmen blue

Metals: painted blotgun metal, washed with badab black, and drybrushed with chainmail

Skulls: painted with dheneb stone, highlighted with skull white, and washed with gryphonne sepia

Eyes: painted scab red and coated with gloss varnish after the model was completely sealed

Once everything was painted I coated the model with a coat of gloss varnish for strength and then a coat of matte varnish to kill the shine.  I rather hope it's owner is as happy with model as I am.

2 comments:

  1. God, this is such an outdated model... you managed to breathe some life into it, but its so old it should have a walker, or a motorized scooter. Maybe add a small AARP membership card somewhere... good job on the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    Thanks. According to the date stamp on the model, it is now old enough to drink. I'd love to get a chance to paint one of the new ones some day.

    ReplyDelete