Sunday, September 26, 2010

Painting for Others

I love painting miniatures.  It's an activity in which I can lose myself for hours on end.  This fact combined with my current state of persistent poverty has led me to start painting miniatures for my friends in place of purchasing them gifts.  So far, this has worked out wonderfully for everyone.  I get to paint something away from my norm, and my friends get a well painted miniature to add to their force.  These models also give me a chance to experiment with new techniques in a setting where they aren't required to perfectly match with an existing force.  I will usually be given some color guidelines and then let loose on the project.  I have pictures of some of these that I'd like to share.  Hopefully I will eventually be able to get photos of the others so I can share them as well.
The first model I ever painted for someone else is this:
Painted several years ago, this is just not up to my current standards.  The blending was virtually nonexistent, and the highlights weren't strong enough.  I made improvements when I painted the next model for the same person
 The only part I wasn't happy with on this model was the thickness of the highlights on the jetbike body.  The face and freehand glyph on the front of the bike are what I am particularly proud of.  This was my first attempt at doing any large freehand work.

This next model was my first attempt at doing any real work with highlighting and shading red, and while the overall model turned out looking nice it wasn't as smooth as I would have preferred.  This is also my first attempt at working with gray primer, which has become my default color.

The last picture I've got to share is a Daemon Prince using the Bel'akor model.  I'm am rather pleased with how the skin and the bronze metallics turned out.  The sword I'm a bit iffy on.  It actually looks better when viewed from the other side.  I was trying for a bluish lightning effect, but I didn't use enough layers to get a smooth transition.  The starting colors should have been put on in a much wider line.


I'll post more models as they are completed.

2 comments:

  1. Those first two were for me! I still can't thank you enough. You didn't post a picture of Maugen Ra. Oh and when are you going to paint my Jain Zar?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mace

    Sadly I don't have a picture of Maugen Ra to post. I didn't have a photo booth set up when I painted him, so never got a chance to photograph him. I'll have to borrow him some time to get some shots. As for Jain Zar, she's on my table, but I'm having trouble working up any enthusiasm. I don't really care much for the model.

    ReplyDelete