Friday, September 24, 2010

Ork Wierdboy

I picked up the Ork wierdboy model back when GW released it in January of 2008 purely based on the look of it.  I loved the thought of grots trying to hold back the rampaging Ork Psyker as warp energy courses through his body.  It's a shame his rules are so weak.  The total absence of consistency makes him virtually unfieldable in a competitive environment.  Some of his powers are quite useful but even with the re-roll you can never reliably get the power you need when you need it.  I'd consider him to be a lot more useful if one of his ability let him use the power of his choice.  As it stands he's mostly just a bench-warmer that sits in my display cabinet and get ogled by the kids whenever they are in my office.  I am pretty pleased with how he turned out however.

The largest modification I made to the model was to chop off the grot swinging off his right side.  While I appreciated the thought of one of his keepers failing to hold him back and getting swung about by the enraged psyker, I felt the execution was rather lacking.  The grot looked rather silly and the position of the chain looked extremely artificial.  And so, it had to go.  My original intent when I bought this model was to add some lightning shooting out of his right eye, but after drilling out the eye socket and screwing around with various wires trying to make something that didn't look retarded, I gave up.  Hence the gaping hole where an eye should be.  I plan to eventually replace the socket with a glass bead painted bright green, but that's a project for down the road.

I painted him primarily for use in a 500 point casual list I put together when I first started on my orks.  Over several games he performed with adequate mediocrity.  He killed a few things, but never really managed to do anything all that impressive.  It was a lot of fun to set off his random powers though.  I figure I'll continue to field him in casual games just for the joy of teleporting around the board and occasionally blasting stuff with auto hitting weapons.

0 comments:

Post a Comment